James Victore – Pocket Profile

How I plan on improving as an Interaction Designer…

I would be lying if I told anyone that I have found this course easy so far. This year everybody has faced so much already.

With the ongoing pandemic, life as I have known it has completely changed and likewise… so have I!

I have always been a very dedicated and social student, always engaging in everything, listening and keen to learn, as well as being inspired and motivated by my peers. This year however, with online learning I have struggled to keep up the motivation to do my work and I’m also missing the social element to university. It is so much harder to create a routine and it just isn’t as enjoyable. Although I have tried hard to keep up my determination, I feel that something has to change in order for me to go forward and positively progress in this course. This is when I decided to go back to the beginning…

I found my motivation through a youtube channel, owned by James Victore.

.

James Victore is an American art director, designer, and author. As a creative thought leader James is a sought after speaker known for his timely wisdom and impassioned views about creativity and its place in the world. He teaches how to illuminate your individual gifts in order to find clarity and purpose. His work is represented in the permanent collections of museums worldwide.

James Victore describes how people use excuses for their creative blocks, because it’s either too easy or too hard for them to face their opportunities and use their gifts. I completely understand what he means.

1. Creativity comes too EASY…

I have always been a very creative person, even when I was little. I always loved painting and making a mess. Art and Design was my favourite subject in school. I lived to impress with my ideas and obsessed over never having the same work as anyone else. Mine always had to be different. This is a trait of mine that I want to reflect in my work in IxD and even further into my career!

2) Creativity is too HARD…

This is something else that I can relate too! James Victore explained how we can become scared to show our true creative self, because we don’t know how others may react, but then again, if we act the same as everyone else, no one will react at all! Creativity takes a lot of thinking, but I intend to make it my purpose to always have a camera, sketchbook and pencil with me, so that I can constantly record the inspiration that is surrounding me.

I then went on to discover his website. The first thing that comes up even helped motivate me!

Here are some more examples of his work…

Whenever I find myself having a creative mind block, Victore and his phenomenal youtube channel will be what I will use to motivate me.