IxD102 – Designing my first Type Specimen

The font which I decided to base my specimen poster on is Futura. I alway find that the best way for me to become creative and inspired is by starting with background information. I found out so many interesting facts about Futura, its relevance and importance, as well as its simple, yet interesting design origin.

From here I drew out a quick bubble map, including all of the words which call to mind whenever I think of Futura. I like to physically write out my bubble maps as I find it’s the most effective way for me to gather and share my thoughts, making it easier for me to form the most creative outcomes.

As a visual learner, I have always made mood boards in the past to help stimulate my outcomes. Using Adobe Spark, I created a mood board with images which I felt were similar to what I’m trying to achieve for my type specimen.

I then got my sketchbook and started roughly sketching ideas.

These are the three final sketches that I have decided to design using Adobe XD. I drew them in a larger template and added the colour palettes I intended to use.

Creating my type Specimens