Geometric typography

Task

1 hour – write your first name using letterforms made only out of circle, square and triangle.

Consider

• What is necessary to make the letters recognizable?
  • What can be left out?
  • How do you differentiate the letters but maintain a consistency?

Can be done digitally or on paper.

I decided to create mine using Figma, I originally wanted to create my name using all the shape options given and these were my results:

This is my initial idea, I used only circles, I wanted to play with negative space and stick to my favourite colour – pink.

It kind of reminds me of lights shinning in the dark or lightbulbs forming your name.

This was my second attempt, I wanted to allude to the letters whilst still using negative space and the circular shape, I like it but it is not quite there. I darkened the pink to give it a more mature look.

For my 3rd attempt I took inspiration from one of my favourite Disney movies – Monsters inc.

Bellow is shown my final outcome.

I am quite pleased with the final outcome as I think it is quite quirky, unique and energetic – which for anyone that knows me – describes me perfectly.

What really appealed to me about the monsters inc aesthetic was the starting colours against a black background – This is something I simply had to incorporate into my design.