IXD301 – Usability Testing my Elements Project

To test this product I got a source who is 10 years old and who I asked to take part in this testing process. I wanted to test on the age group and I was lucky enough to find someone to participate, he was very helpful and aided me in my research and the bettering of my product.

Why test?

• Every digital product should be tested
  • I know the product, others do not, it is a good way to see how others use it in a new way from me
  • It makes my research reliable and sound
  • To discover what problems there is and what needs worked on
  • It is interesting to see how the target audience reacts to the product

My findings

From watching him use and read my e-book I discovered alot of things, I was weary at first because I thought he wouldn’t be interested but I was wrong. The user loved my book and I got some great feedback from him, for example:

• He used the buttons provided in the correct way and navigated very easily through the short book
  • He commented on the comic book layout and said it was like a book and comic in one
  • He read the book easily and did not ask me what any words meant
  • He commented on the superheroes saying they look like something from disney

What problems did I discover?

• He read it very quickly, this made me think that the book was too short or i added too many panels per page. This made me question how stimulating the book actually is and perhaps my target audience should be a younger age group
  • He tried to click the end page to see if anything would happen – This made me think I should add something else to it like a button that take you back to the start or to another page that contains a blurb or list of contents
  • The prototype would not go back for him so I need to fix that

Reflection

Overall this was a very successful test for me and my product, i found out more than I thought I would on this subject and through watching the user use my book I got to know the user more and what they need from this. I was also pleased watching someone use my work and see it actually work for somebody else was uplifiting. There is great point to user testing and I am glad I done it.