Type Specimen feedback

During the feedback and group critique on my type specimen I came away with advice and tweaks I had to make on my designs. I chose this one for Kyle and Pauline to give me feed back on because I liked it the most.

They told me that the body copy was not in the correct placement and that I should just keep in a simple paragraph instead, near the bottom of the screen. They also said that I should work soon the opacity of my letters and add a mixture of having less opaque and opaque lettering so it doesn’t look as heavy. So I did all of these things and this is how it turned out.

Although I feel like this is an improvement I still was not happy with the end result I felt like it did make the overall design appear less heavy but now I feel like it looks weak and not the look I was going for.

During the feedback Kyle said I should work on another type specimen that he liked and said could be interesting if I work on the opacity. This was the initial design.

They told me to take away the lines and perhaps take into account the beauty of the tail of the ‘Q’ as that part of the letter can be very interesting. I worked on this and this was the end result.

I tired two different tones of autumnal colours for both and varied the placement of ‘Palatino’ which I lowered the opacity on to not make it look so heavy. I think both turned out well however I like the first one where the Palatino is lighter and positioned in the background. working on this design I think I like it better than my grey ‘g’ type specimen.