We had to do a short task, using objects or food in our houses, to create our chosen letter. I wasn’t sure if I fully understood the task at first, but I gave it a try. I made an uppercase A out of oranges. I like that an A might be more closely associated with apples, but I used oranges instead. My other letter was a lowercase A made out of my little brother’s Soreen snack bars in different colours. I much prefer the look of the oranges A, as it is clear, as opposed to the Soreen one, which is very busy due to the illustrations on the bars. I do, however, like the colours in the Soreen A a lot more, as it reminds me of a traffic light, and the colours are very vivid.
I enjoyed this task in the end, and think I was successful.
We were tasked with creating a 3D version of the letter we had drawn. I began to see the problem with choosing such an elaborate shape, as I knew I would have difficulty in creating this out of cardboard, which was my chosen medium. However, I took the challenge and began to create this. I started by drawing the shape on two sheets of cardboard, making tabs for folding as I went along, and then I cut it out. It took a while to assemble using masking tape, but I eventually finished and moved on to decorating it. I chose to use tin foil as I felt that if I painted it, the heavy layers of tape would still be visible, so I wanted something which would both cover the letter and create an effective finish. I believe I achieved this successfully, and whilst I had difficulty in creating this piece, I am happy with the end result.