While exploring different techniques throughout our workshop, I decided I liked the look of lace applique with a simple running stitch though it to resemble a flower, and wanted to incorporate it onto my shirt.
I am very pleased with the way they turned out, like a poppy flower and decided that i wanted to also create the same design on the pocket of the shirt.
after completing this I began thinking about how I could further embellish it, without ruining the style as I liked it despite being very simple.
while printing and making stencils I discovered I could add some prints etc, onto the back of the shirt so that I could keep the simplicity and minimalism on the front but create a beautiful pattern on the back.
one of my prints stood out to me more than others.
To finish the shirt off I decided I needed some more embellishments on the front and chose to create the same embroidery pattern, of the poppy like flowers, down the button holes.
The finished product;
for today we got to experiment with making stencils an printing using natural things like fruit and veg.
I used a lemon, apple and pear to create my print making tools, then started cutting out a leaf stencil to correspond with my word choice which is nature.
When I got all my tools and paint ready I began experimenting to see what patterns and shapes I could come up with, and ended up with some quite sweet pieces. One in particular that stood out to me gave me the idea to do a similar print on my shirt for the embellishment challenge.
we were asked to try create some textile art pieces using the fabric we had previously dyed and different sewing and fabric manipulation techniques.
I started with the couching technique with tassels taken from a piece of scrap garment, I created branch like effect with this and later added leaves with applique and a running stitch. after this I added some dots with paint for some small detailing, I hope to later use this piece to print on.
I then started an applique piece, where I layered a blue piece of fabric with an orange lace material over the top, then stitched into it to create a flower like effect, I also knotted some thread in the center of the flower and added some paint to give some dimension.
I found this interesting fabric with small holes all over it, I decided to use this to my advantage and embroider a small mushroom and some roses and stars onto it, as well as some applique and some painted details.
Our challenge for the day was to photograph clothing, that fit into our colour scheme, in an interesting way. I began to think about the different ways I could look at my items, and the contrasting compositions I could create.
I took some photos displaying my chosen items in different ways in normal, natural lighting, however they looked quite dull. I therefore began adjusting the contrast, saturation and sharpness to make the photos more eye catching and vibrant.
I chose to stay with the broken pieces style of pattern as it gave me the impression of a stained glass window. I really liked how all the individual pieces came together to create a large piece that is compelling, eye catching and abstract final product.