My chosen word for this semester is psychedelic, which will connect with my word from the previous tasks, nature.
for my colour scheme I have chosen, pink, peach, tan, orange and yellow.
I went around my house in search of fabrics and items that conveyed my words and colour palate.
i then started making my sketchbook from some sheets of recycled paper I had previously made.
and adding some of my ideas into beginning.
While exploring different techniques throughout our workshop, I decided I liked the look of lace applique with a simple running stitch though it to resemble a flower, and wanted to incorporate it onto my shirt.
I am very pleased with the way they turned out, like a poppy flower and decided that i wanted to also create the same design on the pocket of the shirt.
after completing this I began thinking about how I could further embellish it, without ruining the style as I liked it despite being very simple.
while printing and making stencils I discovered I could add some prints etc, onto the back of the shirt so that I could keep the simplicity and minimalism on the front but create a beautiful pattern on the back.
one of my prints stood out to me more than others.
To finish the shirt off I decided I needed some more embellishments on the front and chose to create the same embroidery pattern, of the poppy like flowers, down the button holes.
The finished product;
for today we got to experiment with making stencils an printing using natural things like fruit and veg.
I used a lemon, apple and pear to create my print making tools, then started cutting out a leaf stencil to correspond with my word choice which is nature.
When I got all my tools and paint ready I began experimenting to see what patterns and shapes I could come up with, and ended up with some quite sweet pieces. One in particular that stood out to me gave me the idea to do a similar print on my shirt for the embellishment challenge.
todays task was to create a book in order to lay out different samples of mark making, I decided to make mine from cardboard squares and sew them together with embroidery thread.
I then started making background colours with acrylic paint in my colour scheme to allow for the mark making to stand out more.
I am very pleased with how my book turned out, I enjoyed how experimental and playful it was to make and helped me explore this technique more, which I hope to further incorporate into my work.
we were asked to try create some textile art pieces using the fabric we had previously dyed and different sewing and fabric manipulation techniques.
I started with the couching technique with tassels taken from a piece of scrap garment, I created branch like effect with this and later added leaves with applique and a running stitch. after this I added some dots with paint for some small detailing, I hope to later use this piece to print on.
I then started an applique piece, where I layered a blue piece of fabric with an orange lace material over the top, then stitched into it to create a flower like effect, I also knotted some thread in the center of the flower and added some paint to give some dimension.
I found this interesting fabric with small holes all over it, I decided to use this to my advantage and embroider a small mushroom and some roses and stars onto it, as well as some applique and some painted details.
My sketchbook and ideas;
Todays task was to create natural dyes and use them to dye fabric.
I started by cutting up my old, white school shirts, into different sizes and collected some fruits and veg to experiment with.
I was slightly limited with my resources for dyeing, but I still managed to create some interesting colours, as well as achieved my colour palate.
I used lemon, carrots, spinach, red onion, turmeric, coffee and I also used packaged dyson dye to create my teal colour.
I then hung them out to dry so that I could experiment with them further.
pieces after drying:
From the available words I chose; Nature.
I began by gathering some images of fashion and textile art inspired by nature and photography of nature itself.
I then chose a colour scheme and tried to take some photos around by house of objects that showcased my chosen palate, White, Teal, Orange and yellow.
I then started collecting materials, paper and paint in those colours to create my mood board.