Our project for sculpture was to create a design for a statue/sculpture outside at Cathedral gardens, in the kid friendly park, there were some specifications we were to adhere to for example; to be based on man made or natural forms, to be an iconic visual experience that engages the audience, encourage curiosity and a sense of wonder. I began thinking about what these specifications meant to me, it led me to think about how humans are linked to nature and how we have lost our touch with it. I wanted to convey this so that it brought excitement and wonder whilst also representing a wider message.
The imagery I want to create to create this message is that of a woman, possibly standing in front of a tree, with roots collecting and wrapping around her feet and leaves and wildlife in her hair, I believe that it would be most influential if this statue was placed beside some flower beds to connect it to the plant life it depicts.
through my research I discovered that if I was going to make a sculpture for this location I would cast it in bronze as the I like the effect it gives as a classic sculpture from looking at sculpture artists Like Henri Matisse.
i created a mood board of inspiring images around my ideas, as well as some small, quick thumbnail sketches of what I want my sculpture to look like
I also did some artist research to find some sculptors that I found influential to the style of my work.
I created a more in depth study of my idea as well to help me achieve My intended goal
I began to work from tinfoil wrapped in clay to make the form of the woman, I had made some faces and heads from clay before however, I had never tried to create a body shape, I found this difficult but despite this I liked the look of it once I had put the tunic like Traditional style clothing on the model. I also went outside and found some plants and sticks that I could use to simulate roots and leaves of a tree, I used some flowers in the woman’s “hair” to add some colour to the mini sculpture even though I wanted it to be cast in bronze.
I am very happy with the finished project despite being skeptical as to whether it would turn out okay or not aesthetically, but in my opinion it is similar enough to my original drawing and sketches, which I found very helpful to refer back to when creating the final product.
I then downloaded a photo editing app and photoshopped some of the images I took of the sculpture into the foreground of a photo of the outside of the university.