We were asked to collect a number of different objects and arrange them however we wanted on top of a background.
I began drawing up the items using charcoal
after this I drew it up again and painted the objects using oil paint.
we were asked to create some studies using whatever medium we chose, of the photos we took of our clothing items, I began by painting.
then I began to experiment with using mixed media, so I took some fabric strands from a pair of jeans and used it to create a similar effect on a study of ripped jeans rolled up into a circle.
Our challenge for today was to create an A3 page full of quick fashion sketches, we were asked to look at the moschino collection to gain inspiration. The garments were modelled using puppets, I thought this was a very smart, innovative way to keep people interested in the show, in addition to this many of the clothes featured ruffles and folds et.c in them, like we had been doing previously during the course. I tried to incorporate as many of these in my sketches as I could.
For the denim project I started to find inspiration by creating a mood board and researching different items of clothing I could create, I also created a colour scheme using the items made from denim I had collected, and some items of clothing I had leftover from separate, past projects. This made the process much easier.
I decided I wanted to create a clutch style purse made from denim.
I started by cutting off the legs of a pair of jeans that the zipper had broken on.
I cut out a rectangle piece and pinned down the sides to make sure the hem was even and tidy.
I then secured the hems with hemming web and started laying down the other styles of fabric onto the outside of my purse in a patchwork style, so that I could later being sewing onto it to achieve a ‘Boro’ style stitching effect, as I had previously experimented with the style when doing the sewing workshop and very much liked how it turned out, therefore I wanted to incorporate it into my final piece.
I sewed into the purse to achieve the look I wanted. I also embroidered some roses onto it in my colour scheme.
I then set about making a divider in the middle of the purse, I had leftover Burgundy leather which was the perfect material and also was in my colour scheme.
I scored the leather and cut it with a craft knife to make some slits for cards et.c
I was going to add a zip into my purse but I felt it would take away from the look I wanted to I therefore added a button on the front of it. And a small loop with embroidery thread so I could fasten it closed.
i created the purse by using a pair of jeans
I had cut the legs off them and was left over with a pair of shorts, I had a lot of leftover material from when I added the different fabric to the purse. I decided to use the leftovers to decorate the shorts and make it into a side piece for the denim challenge as I had the resources.
I am very happy with my final product as I created Almost exactly what I had planned aswell as having a happy accident with the shorts and being able to incorporate them into my piece as well.
Our challenge for the day was to photograph clothing, that fit into our colour scheme, in an interesting way. I began to think about the different ways I could look at my items, and the contrasting compositions I could create.
I took some photos displaying my chosen items in different ways in normal, natural lighting, however they looked quite dull. I therefore began adjusting the contrast, saturation and sharpness to make the photos more eye catching and vibrant.
Since we were working with paper To make lamp shades by folding and cutting it last week, we needed to do some research to back up our findings and work.
I chose to stay with the broken pieces style of pattern as it gave me the impression of a stained glass window. I really liked how all the individual pieces came together to create a large piece that is compelling, eye catching and abstract final product.
One of the workshops we had was sewing and how you could use thread to manipulate fabric or create pattern or designs. My first attempt was using embroidery thread on paper with a running stitch, I tried to create a pattern with the thread.
We were also asked to experiment with how we could use the thread I wanted to see if I could create an image using thread and my colour scheme, I decided to try to present a sun and moon image in a seeding stitch method.
i have also had some experience using embroidery thread as I would sometimes embroider on my own clothes; I found that creating flowers and roses especially were very effective using thread.
after some thinking about how I could present my sewing experimentals I decided to try incorporate all the different fabrics and colours I intend to use for the denim challenge to see how they would work together, I am very pleased with how they came out I think they look pretty and aesthetically pleasing I also added some embroidered roses to some to add to the overall look. For these experimentals I wanted to try use the Boro method of sewing which I had researched a small bit to find that it originated in Japan and was created to allow old clothes to be repaired and used for longer.
however this was one of the things I had the most difficulty with as I wasn’t able to form the material into the shapes and folds that I wanted, despite this I was able to create a few rouches with the fabric I had.
we went to the big fish on one of our outings, we were asked to choose one of the studies we made and choose a portion of it to recreate using clay.
I chose the large building in the background of my study.
I created two identical pieces with a side piece in order to enable to to connect them together. The pieces will need to be fired, however we are now working remotely so I am not sure when I will be able to get this done.